This is just what it says: a long-term project to geotag every archaeological site described in a paper available on the internet in English (and some not in English, and possibly at some point some offline material) containing pre-1600 ethnic Balt finds. Eventually, I hope to have tags color-coded by subgroup, with popup images and direct links to the source research.
The goals of this project are:
– to create a comprehensive, scalable, linked, visual index of Iron Age and medieval Baltic material culture
– crosslink descriptions of the same object in different papers to make a more complete picture
– build geotypologies of object classes, and associate them with ethnic subgroups and time periods
– create protocols for other researchers to use to do the same type of work in other regions.
Objects described in my Summer 2016 Metadata class:
- Object 1: Crossbow fibula
- Object 2: Necklace with pendants
- Object 3: Pectoral ornament
- Object 4: Pair of dress pins